Wednesday, May 10, 2006

We've been Zumed

The first trial of Jacob Zuma is over. The verdict is that he is innocent of rape. While I don't understand fully the ins and outs of the legal system, and while I am prepared to trust the judiciary on this fine point, I do think some travesty of justice has been committed. By his own admission, Zuma has abused the trust of his wives, abused the power of his position, both as statesman and as the complainants mentor-"uncle". My abiding image from this trial will be the Zuma supporters outside the court:- African mothers with placards reading: "Rape Me! Rape Me!" Jacob Zuma - 1; Women's rights - o.

Apart from this, Zuma's defense, despite the recent apologies in his televised interview, have set this country back a few years in our work against AIDS. Another speed bump in the government's dealing with this issue.

I leave the final word to "Madam and Eve" :

No comments: