Monday, February 26, 2007

Job Interview Continued

What if I ask myself the same questions I asked in the previous post? This seems appropriate as an exercise for Lent.

"What will your strategy be?"

I tend to approach daily life reactively. This makes life very busy. I seldom take the time to ponder the underlying, often hidden dynamics that create the problems and opportunities I am responding to. This is no strategy at all. It is merely survival.

I remember an interview with Bishop Tutu in which he was asked how he managed such a busy life. He responded that he spends two hour a day praying.

Those who understand spiritual maturity speak of one of the primary benefits of such introspection and examination being that one can respond spontaneously and authentically to daily events in ways that encourage what is important rather than merely reacting to the urgent.

If I presume to complain about the state of the nation, perhaps I should start with the state of me soul. Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world”?

“What is your hope / vision?”

Where is my hope? What does my budget say about my hope? My hope I guess is in Sanlam. I am insured to the hilt. I have often wondered about Western culture’s obsession with pension funds. Arguably it is the young looking after the old, but personally it feels like trusting an impersonal institution for my care rather than my own children or community…

“Whom (what) do you trust?”

Do I trust Jesus? Yikes, what a question! The oke’s already in heaven, so the one running the risks is me. Truth is, there is no cavalry when the shit hits the fan. So it’s a tall order. Do I really want to follow this man?

Yes. At the end of the day, I can think of nothing more meaningful than the cause of Jesus’ adventure. I am alive because Jesus has shown me how to be alive.

2 comments:

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

thanks for the honesty. You are a breath of fresh air.
PG

digitaldion (Dion Forster) said...

Hey G,

I know that Ze has stopped his show... That's no reason for you to stop blogging!

I need my fix of dassie!!!

PS. I'm in the process of getting a 2001 GS650 (Mandarin) with 29000km's on the clock. I have needed to sell a Vespa (no one person should be lucky enough to own two, as I do), and a few computer things to do it!

However, I can't wait to get it, get on the open road and do a bit of long distance riding!

Blessings Greg! Keep the faith.