Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Backhand

When Jesus said turn the other cheek, he had in mind something very different from being a "doormat". You can read Walter Wink's exegesis about that.

I recently came across a friend in a very strange place. Bradley Bordis helped to set up the "Not In My Name" movement which mobilises Jewish people around the world against Zionism. For this he has been publicly branded on this site. (Go down the list to "Bordis, Bradley") Of course Bradley was outraged when this happened, but I can't help thinking that, coming from where it does, it is sort of a backhanded compliment to be openly vilified for doing the right thing.

I'm trying to keep this in mind especially with recent criticism about some of the ideas I've published here and stands that I'm taking. It is tough to respond respectfully - non-violently - sometimes.

No comments: