Friday, December 08, 2006

F art

I am a complete philistine when it comes to appreciating art but sometimes I come across something that intrigues me. There was once a series of sculptures at the National Gallery in town that were compelling and shocking: bodies of children but the heads of fantastic beasts... and I remember the occasional painting in a gallery that made my heart skip a beat. Mostly I enjoy art that pokes fun at the world. I especially enjoy art that explores deep and meaningful things while still being funny.

Here's a mural which explores a whole range of taboos e.g. God = female; God's creative wind from the wrong end; women farting. Lovely. Read more about it here. Divine Gas indeed!


And there is nothing quite so good as Calvin and Hobbes. Mom sent me a link to all of Calvin's snowman works. This one speaks to the point of this blog:

And then there is the interesting relationship between art and function. Here is a company that creates cameras that look like guns. I don't think they're trying to make a point, just cornering a niche in the market, but I can't help feeling that this is an inadvertent comment on their part and isn't that what art is?

No comments: