Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Devil in my Garden

Every day I wake up and spend a little time looking at this view of Devil's Peak, my favourite part of the mountain. Wind swept and tempestuous, it's moods are various and unpredictable. It reminds me of the frailty of my tiny life and the transcience of the daily problems I face. Even this massive monolithic presence is being eroded by the persistence of wetness. It’s character is the evidence of thousands of years of struggle against the elements, creased by rivers, softened by green and crowned with golden clouds.

As we woke a fog covered the flanks of the mountain so Katie, Jürgen and I expected a cold morning run. This is Katie’s cold weather suit, a present from her aunt, uncle and cousin (Immy, David and Llew) in England. Only the English know how to make things really water proof…

Running up through the fog we broke through into a sunny day above Rhodes Memorial, looking through misted trees to a glowing sun-lit peak. A thousand wonders are born every moment that will never be appreciated, but I am grateful for the few that surprise me and wake me from my routined stupor.

Thanks be to God for the Devils Peak! ;-)

No comments: